Friday, December 01, 2006

kismet

Did you ever get the feeling that life was trying to tell you something? A series of events or signs which all seem to point in the same direction? A big sledgehammer of "Hey! Pay attention!" whacking you upside the head?

I have. And I think it's telling me to go to Africa.

It defies logic, but examine the evidence, all of which have occurred in the last 2 weeks:

  1. A short while ago I overheard a conversation in which a couple people were talking about travel and where they would like to go. The subject got me asking the question of myself. Having had the opportunity to visit Scotland last year (which had always been my first desire when it came to international travel), I began thinking of other places. Italy, Australia, western U.S., Hawaii, .....Africa. The latter stood out a bit for some reason, and I'm not sure why. It had never before struck me as some place I wanted to go. Anyway....my mind then set to wandering and thoughts of travel faded.
  2. While sitting in the passenger seat of a car, I ended up in the middle of a conversation between the driver and someone standing outside my window. The topic: Africa. One had just got back from there where he was helping to build schools and other such humanitarian efforts. The other had worked there years ago for a few months. Both were of the opinion that it was a life changing experience.
  3. In the course of my duties at work, I came into contact with some people from The United Republic of Tanzania (Africa). One asks if I've ever been to Africa. Upon replying in the negative, he says I really should come.
  4. A short time later, while standing around and minding my own business, a random pedestrian walks up to me asking directions to the underground parking level. He spots a pin on my lapel (which depicts the flag of Tanzania....reference point #3) and asks if I'm from Tanzania (though looking doubtful). I say no, but he doesn't press the matter further. Instead, he pulls out his business card and hands it to me. He works for Zara Tours.....a trekking and climbing company from........duh duh duh......Tanzania. He says I should come see the country and bids me good day.
  5. Today I went to the mail and picked my most recent issue of Macleans. On the cover; a story on Darfur in Africa.
What do you think? Coincidence, or fate?

In related news, today is World Aids Day.

4 comments:

E. Rivera said...

Hey! New blog! Nice digs! I like Beta. It's sexier behind the scenes.

I am totally into signs from the universe, and you are totally supposed to go to Africa. Plan it! Safari it! Get yer shots!

Anonymous said...

For everything... a season.

Anyway, I think that people are pulled toward certain places: I know quite a few people like that. Mine is the British Isles. Yours? Africa?

Curt Sawyer said...

My wife went to South Africa for a conference a couple of years ago (only Australia and Antartica remain and she'd have toured all the continents). Lots of wealth and lots of poverty.

Melinda said...

I totally agree that you should go to Africa. It would be an incredible place to visit.

I've always been pulled towards Ireland - can't wait to visit there (probably during the summertimes)and find out why.