Tuesday, December 12, 2006

i'm probably going to regret this

"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart."

-William Wordsworth-

I suffer from the somewhat romantic notion that I'm a writer. I believe it grabbed hold of me when I entered high school and became enamoured by story. All but disregarding the sciences, the classes which received my focus were English, History and Art. Throughout these formative years I wrote short stories, poems, a novella.....I sketched and painted....all in an attempt to tap into my artistic side.

I'm not sure that I was entirely successful. Having gone back and read some of what I wrote back then, I can't say that I was blown away. In truth.....I was somewhat appalled that I thought I was any good at all. In any event, my chosen profession is not one that really nourishes the creative spirit, so once I entered university and subsequently the workforce, my outlets of creative expression fell by the wayside.

And yet, something deep inside me tells me that I'm still a writer, hanging onto the notion of publishing a novel or scripting a screenplay. I want to start writing again. Unfortunately, as I try to come up with ideas of what to write about.....I stumble. Either I think too long on an idea and talk myself out of it, or I feel it is too similar to t.v. show X or movie Y, or some other work that I don't want to rip-off. I need something to get my feet wet. I've come up with a plan.

I call it, Whose Line Is It Anyway?: Creative Writing Edition.

Lame as it sounds, here is the premise:

The audience, namely you, will throw out some general ideas which I will use to formulate a story, which I will write and post here. We'll need some structure, and since I don't have Drew Carey as a moderator, it will work on a first come, first serve basis. I've identified four categories of ideas, so the first 4 commentors (in the following order) will contribute to the story:

Comment 1 - Genre (i.e. science-fiction, adventure, western, etc)
Comment 2 - Setting (location, setting, time, etc), eg. space station, grocery store, feudal Japan
Comment 3 - A defining characteristic of the main character (physical, character, occupation, etc)
Comment 4 - Random (some random element to incorporate in the story)

Only one contribution per person. Suggestions should be short and to the point (1-4 words).

Folks....this may end up as a train wreck. I offer no guarantees on length or time for completion, but promise that whether it is garbage or gold, I will post something. Now....let's see how it all shakes out.

And. GO.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comment 3 - A defining characteristic of the main character (physical, character, occupation, etc)

character can astro-project (astro projection) as long as it's not raining

Curt Sawyer said...

Combine that first comment with Genre: Western.

Ha!

Have fun.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm the third 'comment' shouldn't I get to pick the defining characteristic... I'm confused. What do I do??

I guess if it's a free for all, I'll be comment 4 - "Random": A road rage incident.

... no pressure, but I hope it doesn't suck! Ha.

Steve
(I couldn't log in to post the comment - weird).

Anonymous said...

Okay,I'll go with a shopping mall
(location) Have fun with it!

Dave said...

jm - Always bucking the system. And your suggestion just seems so random. :)

Sawyer - It would appear my reverse psychology by using Western as an example failed miserably. Curses!

Steve - You realize I know where you live?

Anonymous - Shopping mall. Fantastic. Mother, I presume? :P

Okay, cretins. I hope you like Westerns set in shopping malls featuring main characters who can astral project (when it's not raining) experiencing road rage or things of that nature. 'Cause that's what you're getting, suckas!

Anonymous said...

Man, how did I miss out on this one???! I'm sooooooooo going to get in on the next one and I just can't wait to read this wollop of a story!

Kim

London Postmaster said...

...um, I haven't forgot about this... What's the pub date?