Sunday, September 23, 2007

the dark side of hollywood

A few days ago, for no reason in particular, I found myself musing about George Lucas. More specifically, I was trying to figure out how the original Star Wars series could have been so good, and the second series so god-awful. I came to the ultimate conclusion that it was in large part due to the fact that when creating Episodes IV through VI, Lucas was a filmmaker. When creating Episodes Ridiculous through Lame, he was a businessman.

I think part of what I love about the first trilogy is that despite the lasers and spaceships and alien muppets, there is a gritty, tactile realism to the whole thing. You can suspend your disbelief about the story, because the components of the story exist in the real world. With the second trilogy (a.k.a. crapfest) there is such a reliance on computer graphics that I have difficulty suspending that disbelief. It lacks that human element which I believe the story needs. I liken it to a stage magician, doing the trick where he taps two metal rings together and links them. The illusion works, assuming you believe the metal rings to be solid. If you doubt the reality of the rings, the illusion fails. Jar Jar Binks makes me doubt the reality of the rings.

Anyway, the reason that I bring all this up is that yesterday while flicking though the channels, I happened upon an A&E special on Lucas and Star Wars. It made me remember everything I loved about Star Wars, and everything I hated about Revenge of the Sith. Lucas has said that the remastered first trilogy and the second are more in keeping with his vision of the story. I find that sad, since I think the original production is the one that stands the test of time. In the interviews, Lucas himself admitted that when he made the first films, he was a staunch supporter of independent filmmaking and loathed corporate interference in the creative process. At the same time, he admitted that over the years, he has become the corporate head that he used to rally against, much like Anakin Skywalker's spectacular fall to the Dark Side, where he becomes Darth Vader (who used to be the greatest villain of all time). It's nice to know that he at least acknowledges the fact....even though he somehow seems to think the Dark Side is where it's at, these days.

I'm curious what other people think about the subject, and given Lucas' recent track record, I'm wondering if there's anyone who actually is looking forward to the new Indiana Jones film.

Also.....THIS.

2 comments:

Burnie said...

Hey Dave...I do agree that the first 3 Starwars were the best and to me, also most memorable.
The new ones were also good but as you say loaded with special effects...(which I liked)( I like special effects :P), but lets face it they all leave a bit of a hole when it comes to reality.
As far as Lucas doing Lord of the Rings..well I guess your youtube said it all.......:)

Dave said...

You liked them? Gah! We'll have to work on that. ;)

I know you like special effects. So do I suppose...but I like them to compliment/enhance the story...not be the story. :P